Underwent Introductory Course In Epidemiology – January-1999.
|Completed Course In Case Control Study Designs and Clinical Trials at CMC Vellore
Underwent GCP training in the year 1998,2000 and 2001
Nominated as a Monitor for a Multinational study in the year 2004
|Underwent course in Regulatory Affairs
|Participated in the workshop on Introduction to Evidence-Informed Healthcare
- Receptor Blockers Protocol B7A-MC-MBDL-Reduction in the Occurrence Of Center Threatening Diabetic Macular Edema.
- A Long-Term, Open-Label Extension Study to Investigate the Long-Term Safety of SYR 110322(SYR-322) in Subjects with Type 2 Diabetes
- A randomized study to Evaluate the role of Spirolactone and Amiloride in the prevention of Rosiglitazone induced fluid retention in Type 2 Diabetes
- An Open-Label,Multi-Center Follow-on Study Examining the Long-Term Safety, and Efficacy of Insulin VIAject Group Study Comparing the Efficacy and Safety of Insulin VIAjectä in Subjects with Type 1 Diabetes mellitus
- ALTITUDE – A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group study to determine whether, in patients with type 2 diabetes at high risk for cardiovascular and renal events, Aliskiren, on top of conventional treatment, reduces cardiovascular and renal morbidity and mortality Alone
- A Randomized, Double-blind, Active-Controlled, Parallel Group Efficacy and Safety Study of BI 1356 (5.0 mg, administered Orally Once Daily)Compared to Glimperide (1 to 4 mg Once Daily)over Two Years in Type 2 Diabetic Patients With Insufficient Glycaemic Control Despite Metformin Therapy
- A randomized,double-blind,placebo-controlled, 2 arm parallel-group,multicenter 24-week study followed by an extension assessing the efficacy and safety of AVE0010 on top of a sulfonylurea in patients with type 2 diabetes not adequately controlled with sulfonylurea
- A multi-center,randomized,double-blind study to evaluate the efficacy and long-term safety of Vildagliptin modified release(MR)as monotherapy in patients with type 2 diabetes (CLAF 237B2201)
- A Multicenter randomized double blind study to evaluate the efficacy & long term safety of vildagliptin modified release (MR) add-on therapy to metformin in patients with type 2 diabetes (CLAF 237B2224)
- A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind ,Placebo Control Study of IN-105 tablets [oral insulin]in patients with Type 2 Diabetes Melitus who have inadequate Glycemic Control on Optimal doses of Extended Release Metformin Tablets
- Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation (HOPE)-313.
- A randomized,double-blind,placebo-controlled, 2 arm parallel-group,multicenter 24-week study followed by an extension assessing the efficacy and safety of AVE0010 on top of a sulfonylurea in patients with type 2 diabetes not adequately controlled with basal Insulin
Ongoing Sub studies
Study Related Training and Conferences
- Participated In the 16th International Diabetes Federation Conference Held at Helsinki, Finland & Presented a Poster
- Participated In the 7th Novo Nordisk Update and Received an award for the Best Poster Presentation
- Participated In the 1st International Symposium on Clinical Trials – Sydney September1999.
- Underwent GCP Training – 1998 And 2000
- Participated In the Clinical Trial held By Pharmacia and Upjohn In July 1999.
- Participated In the Conference of Indian Association of Biomedical Scientists In April’2001 and Presented a Poster.
- Underwent Advanced GCP Training – Singapore- October ‘2001
- Participated In the Investigator’s Meeting for the Advance trial held in Delhi, 2001
- Participated in the Investigator’s Meeting for the GOURDIN Trial held in Mumbai, January 2002
- Participated in the Investigator’s Meeting for the NMITLI Project held in Mumbai, April2002
- Participated in the Investigator’s Meeting for the ADVANCE Study held in New Delhi, June 2002
- Participated in South East Asian Meeting on ADVANCE held in Kuala Lumpur, July2002
- Participated in NMITLI project Update held in Chennai, August 2002
- Participated in the Investigator’s Meeting for the Study DREAM held in Quebec, Canada, August 2002
- Participated in the ADA-Post Graduate course in Diabetology, Chennai, September 2002
- Participated in the Investigator’s Meeting for the Study DREAM held in Bangalore in December 2002 and delivered a talk on Recruitment strategies in Clinical trials
- Participated in the MDRF-UAB National Seminar on Diabetes and Cardiovascular Epidemiology held in March-2003.
- Participated in the NN622-1343 Closing Meeting held at Thailand in March 2003
- Participated in the 18th International Diabetes Federation held at Paris, 2003
- Completed online course on the Collaborative IRB Training Imitative (CITI),18.06.2003
- Underwent “UAB Vocabulary of Clinical Research” September 15th to 26th, 2003 at Alabama, USA “Clinical Research Training for studies of CVD in India”.
- International Clinical, operational and Health Services Research Training Award” at University Of Alabama, Birmingham. USA September 1- October 10,2003.
- Participated in 1st CDC short course on Diabetes at Atlanta, USA 2003
- Participated in the DREAM Investigators’ meeting held at Chennai, January 12,2004.
- Participated in the ORIGIN Indian Investigators’ meeting held at Chennai, January 13,2004.
- Participated in the Steering Committee meeting for the NMITLI project held at Mumbai, April 6, 2004 and also appointed as a Monitor for the same
- Participated and presented data for the ongoing study DM-FN-01 at the NMILTI Project meeting held at Mumbai, October 1st, 2004
- Monitor the Site –NIMS for the ongoing study ”NMITLI” at Hyderabad, Nov’2004
- Participated in the closure meeting for the prospective study ASDIAB (Asian young Diabetics) held at Singapore, Dec’ 2004
- Participated in the Start-up Meeting-B7A-MC-MBDL held at Vienna, Austria January 2005
- Participated in the MDRF-UAB National Seminar on Diabetes and Cardiovascular Epidemiology held in March 2005.
- Monitor the site –NIMS for the ongoing study” NMITLI” at Hyderabad, Oct’ 2005
- Participated in the Investigator’s meeting held at Barcelona, Spain February 2006
- Participated in the MDRF-UAB National Seminar on Diabetes and Cardiovascular Epidemiology held at Dr.Mohan’s Diabetes Specialities –March 9th to 12th, 2006
- Participated in the Investigator’s Meeting held at Chennai for the studies-IDAW & IDAV– 29th and 30th July, 2006
- Participated in the MDRF-ADA Post Graduate course in Diabetology, Chennai, October 2006
- Participated in the ADVANCE regional meeting held at Melbourne, November 2006
- Participated in the Investigator’s Meeting held at Chennai for the studies-IOOY & IOPE –17th and 18th Aug, 2007
- Participated in the PRECONFERENCE MEETING ON REGULATORY AFFAIRS held on 13th January ,2008 at Mumbai
- Participated in the NN2211-1572 Liraglutide Result Lead II meeting held at Singapore on January 2008
- Participated in the Investigator’s meeting conducted by Indigene on 16th December, 2008,Chennai
- Participated in the Investigator’s meeting conducted by Novartis for the study CLAF 37B2224 at Mumbai-February 2009
- Participated in the Investigator’s meeting conducted for the study TECOS at Goa-May 2009 and delivered a talk on'' Indian Site Experience in Clinical Trial
- Participated in the Investigator’s meeting conducted by Novartis for the study CACZ 88512202 at London-May 2009
|List of Publications
- Poongothai S., Mohan V. Effect of Normopan SF (Ayurvedic compound) in NIDDM Patients with secondary failure to oral hypoglycaemic drugs. THE ANTISEPTIC. 9:298-299, 1996
- Mohan V, Vijayaprabha R, Rema M, Premalatha G, Poongothai S, Deepa R, Bhatia E, Mackay IR, Zimmet P. Clinical profile of lean NIDDM in South India. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 38: 101-108, 1998.
- Poongothai S, Mohan V. Trial of once daily Gemfibrozil (900 mg) in the treatment of hyperlipidemia in diabetes. The Asian Journal of Diabetology 1: 19-22, 1999.
- Mohan V., Poongothai S., Pitchumoni C.S. Oral pancreatic enzyme in the control of diabetes mellitus in tropical calculous pancreatitis. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PANCREATOLOGY. 24: 19, 1999.
- Poongothai S., Rema M., Mohan V. A preliminary report on South Indian diabetic patients from the Asian Young Diabetes Research Study (ASDIAB Study). Novo Nordisk Diabetes Update, Vaz JA, Joshi JK, Moorthy NS (eds), Communication Workshop (P) Ltd., Bangalore, 14 (Abs): 1999.
- Mohan V, Poongothai S, Deepa R, Lakshmi Subramanian S, Nalini K, Murali PM. Efficacy of DCBT 2345- An Ayurvedic compound in treatment in Type 2 diabetc patients with secondary failure to Oral drugs – Randomized Double Blind Placebo Control Study. International Journal of Diabetes in Developing Countries. 21: 176-183, 2001.
- S. Poongothai, K. Karkuzhali, J. Sharadha, R. Deepa, V. Mohan. Evaluation of safety and efficacy of hyponidd,an ayurvedic compound : A Double Blind, Placebo controlled Study In Type 2 Diabetic Patients With Secondary Failure To Oral
Drugs.INT.J.DIAB.DEV.COUNTRIES .22: 19-27,2002.
- Mohan V, Poongothai S, Deepa R. Glipizide improves plasma c-peptide levels over a three-year period after diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes. International Journal of Diabetes in Developing Countries. 22; 75-80, 2002.
- Mohan V, Deepa R, Shefali AK, Poongothai S, Monica M, Karkuzhali K. Evaluation of One Touch Horizon – A highly affordable glucose monitor. Journal of Association of Physicians of India. 52; 779-782, 2004.
- Poongothai S, Lavanya S, Deepa R, Mohan V. Randomized trial on the effect of Atorvastatin verses fenofibrate on serum lipid profile among type 2 diabetes subjects-Fenofibrate and atorvastatin in Treating Hyperlipidemia (FAITH) Trial. Diabetic Medicine (in press)
- The DREAM Trial Investigators. Rationale design and recruitment characteristics of a large, simple international trial of diabetes prevention: the DREAM Trial. Diabetologia (2004). 47:1519-1527 (Study Co-ordinator)
- S. Poongothai. K. karkuzhali, G. Siva Prakash, T. Sangeetha, G.Saravanan, R.Deepa Sharadha Gopalakrishnan,V.Mohan. Effect of Essentiale in Diabetic Subjects with Non-alcoholic fatty liver. International Journal of Diabetes in Developing Countries. 25; 12-19, 2005.
- The DREAM Trial Investigators Effect of rosiglitazone on the frequency of diabetes in patients with impaired glucose Tolerance or impaired fasting glucose: a randomized controlled trial. (Study Co-ordinator)
- The DREAM Trial Investigators. Effect of Ramipril on the Incidence of Diabetes (Study Co-ordinator)
- Effects of Ramipril and Rosiglitazone on Cardiovascular and Renal Outcomes in People With Impaired Glucose Tolerance or Impaired Fasting Glucose: Results of the Diabetes REduction Assessment with ramipril and rosiglitazone Medication (DREAM) trial The DREAM Trial Investigators Diabetes Care 2008 31: 1007-1014 (StudyCo-ordinator)
- Poongothai.S, Pradeepa.R, Ganesh.A, Mohan.V. Reliability and Validity of a Modified Phq-9 Item Inventory (Phq-12) as a Screening Instrument for Assessing Depression in Asian Indians (Cures - 65). Journal of The Association of Physicians of India. 2009;57:147-52
- Effects of a polypill (polycap) on risk factors in middle-aged individuals without cardiovascular disease (tips): a phase ii, double-blind, randomised trial.The Indian Polycap Study (TIPS). Published online March 30, 2009 DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(09)60611-5 (Study Co-ordinator)