PhD., MNASc., FAPASc
Disease Biology; Molecular pathogenesis of diabetes and its vascular complications including diabetic retinopathy; Vascular Biology and signaling studies on VSMC; Clinical significance and subclinical relevance of cellular and molecular alterations in metabolic diseases; Mechanisms of accelerated senescence (ageing) and telomere biology; Insulin signaling & Proteomics; Epigenetics; RNAi and miRNA, gut microbiome (metagenomics) and metabolomics aspects of diabetes, Unraveling mechanisms of hyperglycemic memory, Calcium & Redox signaling, Proinflammation, Oxidative stress, ER stress, AGE pathway and biomarker(s) identification; Role of Endocrine Disruptors in diabetes; Bioprospecting herbal molecules; Complementary medicine including molecular benefits of Yoga; Non-invasive point-of-care (POC) clinical measures and medical devices.
Positions held in chronological order:
1.2010 to till date: Dean of Research Studies & Senior Scientist, Madras Diabetes Research Foundation, Chennai, India
2.2007 to 2010: Assistant Director & Senior Scientist, Madras Diabetes Research Foundation, Chennai, India
3.1999 to August 2007: Senior Scientist, Madras Diabetes Research Foundation, Chennai
4.1996-1999: Faculty, Centre for Biotechnology, Anna University, Chennai
5.1991-1996: Post Doctoral Fellow, American Heart Association Affiliate, New Jersey Medical School, New Jersey, USA
6. 1988-1991: Research Associate (CSIR), S.V.University, Tirupati
7. 1986-1988: Senior Research Fellow (CSIR), S.V.University, Tirupati
8. 1984-1986: Junior Research Fellow, S.V.University, Tirupati.
1. 1999-till date: Member, Institutional Ethics Committee, Madras Diabetes Research Foundation
2. 1999-till date: Academic Coordinator, MDRF (Training programmes for BSc/BTech; MSc/MTech students; short-term exposure training and end-semester project training)
3. 2008-till date: Member Secretary, Institutional Animal Ethics Committee, MDRF
4.1999-till date: Key Personnel for MDRF MoU with National & International Institutions.
5.1999-till date: Internal Auditor for ISO/QC norms
Possessing > 35 years of post-MSc research experience since 1983. This includes an extensive Post Doctoral Fellow (PDF) training program (1991-95) at the Hypertension Research Centre, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ), New Jersey Medical School, New Jersey, USA, on the subject: “Biochemical machinery and Signal transduction in physiology and pathophysiology (hypertension, diabetes and associated metabolic disorders”.
Endeavour Executive Fellow (2015) Awarded by the Education Department of Australia to visit Deakin University for Professional Development
Seoul National University, South Korea (2009) – Interaction on ‘Angiogenic Mechanisms’
University of Warwick, UK (2010) - Interaction with Metabolic Diseases Work Group
University of San Diego, USA (2004) – Interaction with Metabolic Diseases Work Group – Human skeletal muscle/Fat biopsy for fundamental research
Scientific Services :
Academic Senate Member: Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati
Member -"Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease (D&CVD) EASD Study”
Member - Editorial Board of Bulletin CV Network, International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences.
Member – Expert Committee, Life Sciences Research Board (LSRB) under DRDO, New Delhi.
Member – Expert Committee, Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), Govt. of India
Member – Board of Studies, Biotechnology, Loyola College, Chennai
Editorial Board Member: Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics (DTT)
Editorial Board Member: Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism (JCEM)
Editorial Board Member: Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry (IJCB)
Editorial Board Member: Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry (MCB)
20 years of total teaching experience which include teaching assignments at
a) Department of Zoology, S.V.University, Tirupati (1983-1991),
b) Centre of Biotechnology, Anna University, Chennai (1995-1999)
c) MDRF (1999 -till-to-date).
1. 1993-1995 American Heart Association Fellowship grant (PI)
2. 1996-1997 Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Italy - Research Grant (PI)
3. 2002-2005 Department of Science & Technology (DST), New Delhi (PI)
4. 2002-2007 FIST-DST Grant (Programme Coordinator)
5. 2003-2006 Department of Biotechnology (DBT) (Co-Investigator)
6. 2006-2010 Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) (Co-Investigator)
7. 2003-2006 Department of Science & Technology (DST), New Delhi (Co-PI).
8. 2007-2011 Department of Biotechnology (DBT), New Delhi (PI).
9. 2009-2012 Department of Science & Technology, Indo-Korea Joint Research Project (PI)
10. 2010-2014 Department of Biotechnology (DBT), New Delhi (PI)
11. 2013-2016 Department of Biotechnology (DBT), New Delhi (Co-PI)
12. 2014-2017 ICMR-INSERM (Co-PI)
PhD students under my supervision at the Cell and Molecular Biology Department of MDRF (affiliated to the University of Madras) completed/working on the following topics:
- Dr. Sampath Kumar - Altered signaling in diabetes and its complications with special reference to ion transport, redox imbalance and advanced glycation aspects.
- Dr. Adaikalakoteswari - Biochemical markers and molecular mechanisms of Oxidative Stress in Diabetes and its Complications.
- Dr. Srinivasan - Molecular convergence of hexosamine biosynthetic pathway and endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress in insulin resistance
- Dr. Gokulakrishanan - Biochemical and intracellular studies on cardiovascular risk factors in relation to glucose intolerance
- Dr. Sameer Mahmood - Glucolipotoxicity induced molecular alterations in insulin secretion and insulin resistance: Role of Gallic acid
- Dr. Sandhya - Clinical significance of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) in diabetic patients and fatty-acid induced molecular perturbations in hepatocytes and adipocytes
- Dr. Finny Monickaraj - Clinical significance and mechanisms of accelerated senescence in Type 2 diabetes: Studies involving 3T3L1 adipocytes and human fat depots
- Dr. S.Raji - Role of Endoplasmic Reticulum (ER) stress in Type 2 Diabetes- Molecular studies involving human, animal and in vitro model systems
- Mr. S. Arvind - Exploring novel mechanisms of insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes using miRNA and RNAi technologies
Summer training & End-semster project training to students:
Nominated & Served as PhD examiner for students outside the MDRF:
So far, >200 summer students trained and above 35 students were directly supervised and guided for their end-semster project work.
Conducted PhD viva-voce examination and served as examiner for students from:
Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi
University of Madras
Tuberculosis Research Centre,
Department of Biotechnology, CLRI
Central University Hyderabad
National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research (NIPER)
Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER)
Centre for Biotechnology, Anna University
(i) Served as Guest-Editor for a special issue on Diabetes Mellitus in “Current Science” (2002, Vol: 83(12).
(ii) Co-organizer of the meetings organized by MDRF including
a) Brain Storming session on “Cell transplantation” sponsored by Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt of India, 2002 at MDRF, Chennai
Scientific Organising Secretary: for
b) MDRF-ADA Post-graduate Course in Diabetology 2002
c) MDRF –ADA Post-graduate Course in Diabetology 2004
d) MDRF –ADA Post-graduate Course in Diabetology 2006
(iii) Organising Secretary – Indo-Swedish Symposium on Genomics and Proteomics of Diabetes (April 1-2, 2006)
(iv) Served as Guest-Editor for a special issue on Diabetes Research in “Indian Journal of Medical Research” (Vol 125) 2007.
(v) Assisted in organization of:
a) International Conference on “Current trends in multidisciplinary approaches to diabetes research” (9 -10th July 2009) at the Sri Sathya Sai University, Puttaparthi
b) International Conference on “New Frontiers in Diabetes Research” (13 -14th August 2010) at the Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, Puttaparthi
(vi) Organizing Secretary: DST-sponsored INSPIRE Science Camp for the students during 27th Dec to 31st Dec 2010, in Chennai.
(vii) Lead Guest Editor: Special Issue: Molecular intricacies and Role of ER stress in Diabetes – for the Journal Experimental Diabetes Research (2012).
Referee for various journals including:
- Diabetes, Diabetologia, Diabetic Medicine, PlosOne,
- Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry
- Indian Journal of Experimental Biology
- Current Science
- Indian Journal of Medical Research
- European Journal of Biology
- Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics
- BMC Endorcine disorders
- DRCP, JCMM, IJEB, Diabetes Care, Metabolism
Memberships & Research Awards:
- 2017: Austraila Awards Ambassador – Recognition from the Australian High-Commission
- 2015: Endeavour Executive Fellowship from the Education Department of Australia
- Fellow: Andhra Pradesh Akademi of Sciences, 2014
- 2012 – Exiqon Grant Programme Award
- 2011: Institute of Advanced Studies (IAS) Visiting Fellow Award, University of Warwick, UK
- 2011: Secretary, Madras Science Foundation, Chennai
- 2009: Member of the National Academy of Sciences, India (MNASc)
- 2009: Executive Member of the Madras Science Foundation, Chennai
- 2008 Elected Member – Madras Science Foundation (MSF), Chennai.
- Elected Member - Asia Pacific International Molecular Biology Network (A-IMBN), 2001
- International Diabetes Society grant to attend 5th IDS Congress, Chennai, 1999
- MABMS award - Membership of the Indian Association of Biomedical Scientists 1999
- Fellow - Indian Association of Biomedical Scientists, 1998
- ICSU/INSA award to attend XIII International Biophysics Congress, New Delhi -2000
- Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS, Italy) Associateship award, 1998.
- Young Physiologist Foreign Guest at the Physiological Society meetings, Dublin (Ireland) March 23-26, 1997
- The Welcome Trust (UK) award for subsistence at the EC School/Conference on Calcium and Signal Transduction (Liverpool, UK, 14-20, March 1997)
- Research Grant award from Third World Academy of Sciences (TWAS), Italy (Principal Investigator), 1996
- International Union of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (IUBMB, Germany), Young Scientist Travel Fellowship Award for participation in IUBMB Congress 1994, New Delhi, India
- Junior Scientist Award from the Association of Scientists of India Origin in America Inc., (ASIOA), Mississippi, USA, 1993
- American Heart Association (AHA, USA), New Jersey affiliate, Post-doctoral Fellowship Grant (Principal Investigator) (Diabetes Work), 1993-1995
- Government of India sponsored Study abroad PDF scholarship award for Specialized Post doctoral training - New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey, USA, 1991-1992
- Young Scientist Travel award for participation in the Fifth International Theriological Congress, Rome, Italy - Financed by DST, New Delhi, INDIA & V-ITC, Rome, ITALY, 1989
Membership of Academies/Research Societies:
1. Asia-Pacific International Molecular Biology Network (A-IMBN)
2. Member- Madras Science Foundation (MSF)
3. Member Indian Biophysics Society (IBS)
4. Life member Indian Association of Biomedical Scientists (IABMS)
5. Life member Indian Society of Cell Biology (ISCB)
6. Life member-European Calcium Society (ECS, Germany)
7. Member Alliance for Cell Signaling (AFCS, USA)
8. Member Society of Biological Chemists (India) (SBC)
9. Member Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA)
10. Member Inter Academy of Biomedical Forum – (IABF)
Research publications in accredited journals: (Total Publications: 112)
- Gokulakrishnan K, Ranjani H, Weber MB, Pandey GK, Anjana RM, Balasubramanyam M, Prabhakaran D, Tandon N, Venkat Narayan KM, Mohan V. Effect of lifestyle improvement program on the biomarkers of adiposity, inflammation and gut hormones in overweight/obese Asian Indians with prediabetes. Acta Diabetol. 2017 Jun 15. doi: 10.1007/s00592-017-1015-9. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jayachandran I, Sundararajan S, Paramasivam P, Venkatesan B, Subramanian SC, Balasubramanyam M, Mohan V, Manickam N. Association of circulatory asymmetric dimethylarginine (ADMA) with diabetic nephropathy in Asian Indians and its causative role in renal cell injury. Clin Biochem. 2017 May 8. pii: S0009-9120(17)30089-9. doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2017.05.007. [Epub ahead of print]
- Reddy S, Amutha A, Rajalakshmi R, Bhaskaran R, Monickaraj F, Rangasamy S, Anjana RM, Abhijit S, Gokulakrishnan K, Das A, Mohan V, Balasubramanyam M. Association of increased levels of MCP-1 and cathepsin-D in young onset type 2 diabetes patients (T2DM-Y) with severity of diabetic retinopathy. J Diabetes Complications. 2017; 31(5):804-809
- Sathishkumar C, Prabu P, Balakumar M, Lenin R, Prabu D, Anjana RM, Mohan V & M.Balasubramanyam. Augmentation of histone deacetylase 3 (HDAC3) epigenetic signature at the interface of proinflammation and insulin resistance in patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Clinical Epigenetics, 2016, 24;8:125.
- Balasubramanyam M, Prabu P, Sathishkumar C, Sankaramoorthy A & V.Mohan. MicroRNAs in Diabetes: Robust Biomarkers of Prevention and Precision Medicine. RSSDI Update, Chapter 12, pages 1-7, 2016.
- Balakumarm M, Prabhu D, Sathishkumar C, Prabu P, Rokana N, Ramesh Kumar, Raghavan S, Avinash Soundarajan, Grover S, Batish V.K, Mohan V and Balasubramanyam M. 2016. Improvement of glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity by probiotic strains of Indian gut origin in high-fat diet fed C57BL/6J mice. European Journal of Nutrition, 2016 Oct 18. [Epub ahead of print].
- Balakumar M, Raji L, Prabhu D, Sathishkumar C, Prabu P, Mohan V, and Balasubramanyam M. 2016. High-fructose diet is as detrimental as high-fat diet in the induction of insulin resistance and diabetes mediated by hepatic/pancreatic endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 2016, 423(1-2):93-104
- Bhat S, Jagadeeshaprasad MG, Patil YR, Shaikh ML, Regin BS, Mohan V, Giri AP, Balasubramanyam M, Boppana R, Kulkarni MJ. Proteomic insight reveals elevated levels of albumin in circulating immune complexes in diabetic plasma. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2016, 15(6):2011-20.
- Shiny A., Regin, B., Mohan, V & Balasubramanyam, M. Coordinated augmentation of NFAT and NOD signaling mediates proliferative VSMC phenotype switch under hyperinsulinemia, Atheroscelrosis 2016, 246:257-66
- Kumar A, Singhal M, Chopra C, Srinivasan S, Surabhi RP, Kanumuri R, Tentu S, Jagadeeshan S, Sundaram S, Ramanathan K, Shankar Pitani R, Balasubramanyam M, Abhijit S, Nair AS, Venkatraman G, Rayala SK. Threonine 209 phosphorylation on RUNX3 by Pak1 is a molecular switch for its dualistic functions. Oncogene. 2016, 15;35(37):4857-65.
- S. Chandrashekara and P. Renuka, & Balasubramanyam, M. Inflammation - A report on the ‘Scientific Meet on Inflammation’ – Current Science, 2015, 109(11):1917-18
- Lenin R, Sankaramoorthy A, Mohan V & M.Balasubramanyam. Altered immuno-metabolism at the interface of increased Endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress in patients with type 2 diabetes. Journal of Leukocyte Biology 2015;98(4):615-22
- Prabu P, Rome S, Sathishkumar C, Aravind S, Mahalingam B, Shanthirani CS, Gastebois C, Villard A, Mohan V, Balasubramanyam M. Circulating MiRNAs of 'Asian Indian Phenotype' Identified in Subjects with Impaired Glucose Tolerance and Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. PLoS One. 2015 May 28;10(5):e0128372. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0128372. eCollection 2015.
- Korwar AM, Vannuruswamy G, Jagadeeshaprasad MG, Jayramaiah RH, Bhat S, Regin BS, Ramaswamy S, Giri AP, Mohan V, Balasubramanyam M, Kulkarni MJ. Development of diagnostic fragment ion library for glycated peptides of human serum albumin: targeted quantification in prediabetic, diabetic and microalbuminuria plasma by PRM, SWATH and MSE. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2015, 4(8):2150-9
- Sudhanthiran G, Niranjali Devaraj & Balasubramanyam M. Cell Death and Disease, A report on the national conference on ‘Cell Death and Disease’, University of Madras, CURRENT SCIENCE, VOL. 108, NO. 11, 10 JUNE 2015
- Lenin R, Mohan V, Balasubramanyam M. SEAP activity serves for demonstrating ER stress induction by glucolipotoxicity as well as testing ER stress inhibitory potential of therapeutic agents. Mol Cell Biochem. 2015, 404(1-2):271-9
- Pandey GK, Balasubramanyam J, Balakumar M, Deepa M, Anjana RM, Abhijit S, Kaviya A, Velmurugan K, Miranda P, Balasubramanyam M, Mohan V & K.Gokulakrishnan . Altered circulating levels of Retinol binding protein 4 (RBP4) and Transthyretin (TTR) in relation to insulin resistance, obesity and glucose intolerance in Asian Indians. Endocrine Practice, 2015, 21(8):861-9
- Shiju TM, Mohan V, Balasubramanyam M, Viswanathan P. Soluble CD36 in plasma and urine: A plausible prognostic marker for diabetic nephropathy. J Diabetes Complications. 2015, 29(3):400-406
- Balasubramanyam M. Metagenomics Health Claim: Are you rich enough in your gut microbiota? Biology & Medicine, 2014.
- Balasubramanyam M. Diabetic Oncopathy - One more yet another deadly diabetic complication! Indian J Med Res. 2014, 140: 15-18
- Balasubramanyam M. Metformin – Nature’s gift that keeps on giving more. J Obes Metab Res 2014;1:118-20
- Balasubramanyam and Colleagues. Endocrine Disruptors, Meeting Report, Current Science, 2014, 106(8)1052-3
- Shiny A, Bibin YS, Shanthirani CS, Regin BS, Anjana RM, Balasubramanyam M, Jebarani S, Mohan V. Association of Neutrophil-Lymphocyte Ratio with Glucose Intolerance: An Indicator of Systemic Inflammation in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2014, 16(8):524-30
- Balasubramanyam M. Metagenomics – the new generation tool to harness the power of Microbiome. Cutting Edge, 2014 May, pages 20-24
- Jayashree B., Bibin Y.S., Prabu D., Shanthirani, C.S., Gokulakrishnan K, Lakshmi B.S., Mohan V. & M. Balasubramanyam. Increased circulatory levels of Lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and Zonulin signify novel biomarkers of proinflammation in patients with type 2 diabetes. Mol. Cell. Biochem., 2014, 88(1-2):203-10.
- Lakshmi R, Ganesan P, Anjana RM, Balasubramanyam M & V.Mohan. Exploring illness beliefs about diabetes among individuals with type 2 diabetes. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Healthcare Marketing 2014, 8(4):392-413
- Ng Tze Pin, Balasubramanyam Muthuswamy, Fenech Michael, Head Richard, Amarra Maria Sofia & Loke Seng Cheong. Research and Policy to Achieve Healthy Aging in Asia: Recommendations from an Expert Workshop. Open Longevity Science, 2013, 7, 1-10
- Balasubramanyam, M. & Mohan, V. (2013). Role of the gut microbiota in diabetes mellitus. In: “Probiotics in prevention of Lifestyle diseases” (Eds: B.S.Ramakrishna, Balakrish Nair & Yoshifumi Takeda).Elsevier Publications. Page:89-104
- Balasubramanyam, M. & Kulkarni, M.J. (2013). Advanced Glycation. A report on the one-day seminar on 'Advanced glycation – Where Chemical Biology meets Medicine (at NCL, Pune), Current Science, 105(10):1334-35
- Shiny A, Regin B, Balachandar V, Gokulakrishnan K, Mohan V, Subash, B and M.Balasubramanyam. Convergence of innate immunity and insulin resistance as evidenced by increased Nucleotide Oligomerization Domain (NOD) expression and signaling in monocytes from patients with Type 2 Diabetes. Cytokine 2013, 64(2):564-70
- Finny Monickaraj F, Aravind S, Nandhini P, Prabu P, Sathishkumar C, Viswanathan M, Balasubramanyam, M. Accelerated fat cell aging links oxidative stress and insulin resistance in adipocytes. Journal of Biosciences 2013, 8(1):113-22
- Balakumar M, Saravanan N, Prabhu P, Regin B, Reddy GB, Mohan V, Rema M, Balasubramanyam M. Benefits of early glycemic control by insulin on sensory neuropathy and cataract in diabetic rats. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, 2013, 51(1):56-64.
- Shiny A, Regin B, Abirami N, Anand C, Dixit M, Mohan V, & Balasubramanyam M. Hyperinsulinemia-induced vascular smooth muscle cell (VSMC) migration and proliferation is mediated by converging mechanisms of mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, 2013, 73(1-2):95-105
- Mohan V, Shanthi Rani CS, Regin BS, Balasubramanyam M, Anjana RM, Matter NI, Poongothai S, Deepa M, Pradeepa, R. Noninvasive Type 2 Diabetes Screening: Clinical Evaluation of SCOUT DS® in an Asian Indian Cohort. Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics, 2013, 15(1):39-45
- Indulekha K, Surendar J, Anjana RM, Gokulakrishnan K, Balasubramanyam M, Aravindhan V, Mohan V. Circulating levels of high molecular weight (HMW) adiponectin and total adiponectin in relation to fat distribution, oxidative stress and inflammation in Asian Indians. Dis Markers. 2012, 33(4):185-92
- Monickaraj, F., Gokulakrishnan, K., Prabu, P., Sathishkumar, C., Anjana, R.M., Rajkumar, J.S., Mohan, V & Balasubramanyam, M. Convergence of adipocyte hypertrophy, telomere shortening and hypoadiponectinemia in obese subjects and in patients with Type 2 diabetes. Clinical Biochemistry 2012, 45(16-17):1432-8
- Mohan, N., Monickaraj, F., Balasubramanyam, M., Rema, M. and V.Mohan. Imbalanced Levels of Angiogenic and Angiostatic Factors in Vitreous, Plasma and Postmortem retinal tissue of Patients with Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy. Journal of Diabetes and its Complications 2012, 26(5):435-41
- Monickaraj, F., Aravind, S., Gokulakrishnan, K., Satishkumar, C., Prabu, P., Prabu, D., Viswanathan Mohan, V. & M. Balasubramanyam. Accelerated ageing as evidenced by increased telomere shortening and mitochondrial DNA depletion in patients with Type 2 diabetes. Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry 2012, 365(1-2):343-50
- Raji, L., Sneha Maria, M., Agrawal, M., Jayashree, B., Mohan, V. & M.Balasubramanyam. Amelioration of glucolipotoxicity-induced Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress by a ‘chemical chaperone’ in human THP-1 monocytes. Experimental Diabetes Research 2012, 2012:356487. Epub 2012 Apr 10
- Balasubramanyam, M., Singh, L.P., R.Sampathkumar. Molecular intricacies and Role of ER stress in Diabetes (editorial). Experimental Diabetes Research 2012;2012:958169. Epub 2012 Jun 4
- Balasubramanyam M, Aravind S, Gokulakrishnan K, Prabu P, Sathishkumar C, Ranjani H and Mohan, V. Impaired miR-146a expression links subclinical inflammation and insulin resistance in type 2 diabetes. Mol Cell Biochem. 2011 351(1-2):197-205
- Narasimhan S, Gokulakrishnan K, Ravikumar R, Mohan V, Balasubramanyam M. Association of hypoadiponectinemia with hypoglutathionemia in NAFLD subjects with and without type 2 diabetes. Disease Markers, 2011;29(5):213-21.
- Balasubramanyam, M. Is there a link between genetic risk and ‘incretin resistance’? International Diabetes Monitor 2010; 22(6):277-79.
- Narasimhan S, Gokulakrishnan K, Sampathkumar R, Farooq S, Ravikumar R, Mohan V, Balasubramanyam M. Oxidative stress is independently associated with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) in subjects with and without type 2 diabetes. Clin Biochem. 2010 ;43(10-11):815-21
- Balasubramanyam M, Raji, L, Finny Monickaraj. Endoplasmic reticulum stress in diabetes: New insights of clinical relevance. Indian Journal of Clinical Biochemistry, 2010;25(2):111-118.
- Balasubramanyam M, Adaikalakoteswari A, Sameermahmood Z, Mohan V. Biomarkers of oxidative stress: methods and measures of oxidative DNA damage (COMET assay) and telomere shortening. Methods Mol Biol. 2010; 610:245-61.
- Kuppan G, Balasubramanyam J, Monickaraj F, Srinivasan G, Mohan V, Balasubramanyam M. Transcriptional regulation of cytokines and oxidative stress by gallic acid in human THP-1 monocytes. Cytokine. 2010;49(2):229-34.
- Gokulakrishnan K, Mohanavalli KT, Monickaraj F, Mohan V, Balasubramanyam M. Subclinical inflammation/oxidation as revealed by altered gene expression profiles in subjects with impaired glucose tolerance and Type 2 diabetes patients. Mol Cell Biochem. 2009; 324(1-2):173-81.
- Sameermahmood Z, Raji, L, Saravanan T, Vaidya A, Mohan V, Balasubramanyam M. Gallic acid protects RINm5F ß- cells from glucolipotoxicity by its antiapoptotic and insulin-secretagogue actions. Phytother Res. 2010;24 Suppl 1:S83-94.
- Srinivasan V, Tatu U, Mohan V, Balasubramanyam M. Molecular convergence of Hexosamine Biosynthetic Pathway (HBP) and ER stress leading to insulin resistance in L6 skeletal muscle cells. Mol Cell Biochem. 2009;328(1-2):217-24
- Surendar J, Anuradha S, Berty Ashley, Balasubramanyam M, Aravindhan V, Rema M , Mohan V. Cystatin C and Cystatin GFR as markers of early renal disease in Asian Indian subjects with glucose intolerance (CURES-64).Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2009;7(5):419-25.
- K Gokulakrishnan, R Deepa, R Sampathkumar, M Balasubramanyam, V MohanAssociation of Leukocyte Count and hsCRP with Metabolic Abnormalities in Subjects with Normal Glucose Tolerance (CURES – 64) Journal of Association of Physicians of India. 56; 27-32, 2009
- K Gokulakrishnan, R Deepa, R Sampathkumar, M Balasubramanyam, V MohanAssociation of Leukocyte count with varying degrees of glucose intolerance in Asian Indians - the Chennai Urban Rural Epidemiology Study (CURES-26). Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2009;7(3):205-10.
- Sameermahmood Z., Balasubramanyam, M., Saravanan, T. & Rema, M. Curcumin modulates SDF-1a/CXCR4-induced migration of human retinal endothelial cells (HRECs). Investig. Ophthalmol. Visual Sci., 49(8):3305-11, 2008.
- Anitha B, Sampathkumar R, Balasubramanyam M & Rema, M. Advanced glycation index and its association with severity of diabetic retinopathy in type 2 diabetic subjects. J. Diabetes and its Complications, 22(4):261-6, 2008.
- Balasubramanyam, M. One more reason for breast-feeding – Prevention of Diabetes! Current Science, 95:1116-7, 2008
- Balasubramanyam, M. TCF7L2 and Diabetes: a transcription gene with prescription hope? Current Science, 93:613-5, 2007.
- Srinivasan V, Sandhya N, Sampathkumar R, Farooq S, Mohan V & Balasubramanyam, M. Glutamine Fructose-6-phosphate amidotransferase (GFAT) gene expression and activity in patients with Type 2 diabetes: inter-relationships with hyperglycemia and oxidative stress. Clinical Biochemistry, 40:952-7, 2007.
- Balasubramanyam M, Mohan, V. Diabetes in 2007 – What are the promises & challenges? Indian Journal of Medical Res. 125:195-199, 2007.
- Balasubramanyam M, Adaikalakoteswari, A, Finnymonickaraj, S. Mohan, V. Telomere shortening and metabolic/vascular diseases. Indian Journal of Medical Res. 125: 441-450, 2007.
- Sundarajan S, Srinivasan, V, Balasubramanyam M, Tatu, U. Endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress and diabetes. Indian Journal of Medical Research. 125: 411-424, 2007.
- Adaikalakoteswari A, Rema, M, Mohan, V. and M. Balasubramanyam. Oxidative DNA damage and augmentation of Poly (ADP-ribose) polymerase/Nuclear Factor-kappa B signaling in patients with Type 2 diabetes and microangiopathy. International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, 39:1673-84, 2007.
- Adaikalakoteswari A, M. Balasubramanyam, M, Ravikumar, R, Deepa. R. and Mohan, V. Association of telomere shortening with impaired glucose tolerance and diabetic macroangiopathy. Atherosclerosis, 195:83-9, 2007.
- Sameer, M, Balasubramanyam, M. And Mohan, V. Stem cells and diabetes. Current Science, 91(9):1158-1165, 2006
- Balasubramanyam, M, Adaikalakoteswari A, Sampathkumar, R and V. Mohan. Oxidative stress in Asian Indians with Type 2 diabetes. In: Type 2 diabetes in South Asians: Epidemiology, Risk Factors and Prevention. Jaypee Brothers, Medical Publishers (P) Ltd., New Delhi, pp 164-172, 2006.
- Adaikalakoteswari A, M. Balasubramanyam, M. Rema and V. Mohan. Differential gene expression of NADPH oxidase (p22phox) and hemoxygenase-1 in patients with type 2 diabetes and microangiopathy. Diabetic Medicine 23:666-674, 2006.
- Balasubramanyam M. Antioxidants and cardiovascular disease- Where do we stand? The Asian Journal of Diabetology, 8(1): 1-5, 2006
- Premanand C, Rema M, Sameer Mahmood Z, Sujatha M, Balasubramanyam M. Effect of curcumin on proliferation of human retinal endothelial cells under invitro conditions. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 47:2179–2184, 2006.
- Sampathkumar R, Balasubramanaym M, C.Tara, M.Rema, V.Mohan. Association of hypoglutathionemia with reduced Na+/K+ ATPase activity in type 2 diabetes and microangiopathy. Mol. Cell. Biochem, 282 (1-2):169-76, 2006.
- Sampathkumar R, Balasubramanyam M, Sudarslal S, Rema M, Mohan V and Balaram P. Increased glutathionylated hemoglobin (HbSSG) in type 2 diabetes subjects with microangiopathy. Clinical Biochemistry, 38(10):892-9, 2005.
- Adaikalakoteswari A, Balasubramanyam M and Mohan V. Telomere shortening occurs in patients with Type 2 diabetes. Diabetic Medicine, 22, 1151–1156, 2005.
- Balasubramanyam M, Sampathkumar R and Mohan V. (2005) Is insulin signaling molecules misguided in diabetes for ubiquitin-proteasome degradation? Mol. Cell. Biochem, 275: 117–125, 2005.
- Balasubramanyam M Transforming ‘traditional anecdotes’ to ‘evidence-based medicine’ and its relation to diabetes. Current Science, 89(3); 428, 2005
- Mohan V, Balasubramanyam M, Radha V. Genomics and Proteomics of Type 2 Diabetes in Indians. J Assoc Physicians India, 53: 505-509, 2005.
- Sampathkumar R, Balasubramayam M, Rema M, et al. A novel advanced glycation index (AGI) and its association with diabetes and microangiopathy. Metabolism, 58: 1004-1007, 2005.
- Balasubramanyam M, Adaikalakoteswari A & Mohan V. Telomere shortening: A marker of atherosclerosis? Current Science, 87, 422-24, 2004.
- Balasubramanyam M and Mohan V. (2004) Insulin signaling in Diabetes: Cascades and Complexities. Advanced Biotech. 2: 24-27, 2004.
- Balasubramanyam M, Adaikalakoteswari A, Sampathkumar R et al. Curcumin-induced inhibition of cellular Reactive Oxygen Species (ROS) generation: Novel therapeutic implications. J. Biosci, 28: 715-721, 2003.
- BrijendraKumar S, Balasubramanyam M & Mohan V. Scientific highlights of the MDRF-ADA post-graduate course in Diabetology. Int J Diab Dev Countries, 23:135-144, 2003.
- Balasubramanyam M, Rema M & Premanand C. Biochemical and Molecular Mechanisms of Diabetic retinopathy. Current Science, 83: 1506 -14, 2002.
- Balasubramanyam M, Premanand C & Mohan V. Lymphocytes as a cellular model to study insights into the pathophysiology of diabetes and its complications. ANYAS - Annals of New York Academy of Sciences, 958:399-402, 2002.
- Balasubramanyam M & Mohan V. The need for high throughput screening of herbal medicine with special reference to diabetes mellitus. In: Biodiversity (monitoring, management, conservation and enhancement) Ramamurthy, R. & Bali, G (Eds), pp. 57-74, 2002.
- Balasubramanyam M & Mohan V. Orally active insulin mimics: where do we stand now? J. Biosciences, 26:383-390, 2001.
- Mohan, V & Balasubramanyam, M, (2001) Fenugreek and insulin resistance. J. Assoc. Phys. India, 49: 1055-6.
- Balasubramanyam M, Balaji RA, Subashini B & Mohan V. Evidence for mechanistic alterations of Ca2+ homeostasis in Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Int. J. Experimental Diab Res, 1: 275-287, 2001.
- Balasubramanyam M & Mohan V. Current concepts of PPAR-g signaling in Diabetes mellitus. Current Science, 79:1440-1446, 2000.
- Balasubramanyam M & Mohan V. Signal transduction during cardiac hypertrophy: New insights. Indian Heart J, 52:226-232, 2000.
- Balasubramanyam M, Miranda P & Mohan V. Carbohydrate metabolism and diabetes: Links to etiology of diabetic complications and therapy. VI Volume of "The Trends in Carbohydrate Chemistry" , 2000.
- Balasubramanyam M. Calcium and Signal transduction. Indian Journal of Experimental Biology, 35:1138-1139, 1997.
- Cho JH, Balasubramanyam M, Chernaya G, Gardner et al. Oligomycin inhibits store-operated channels by a mechanism independent of its effects on mitochondrial ATP. Biochemical Journal, 324:971-980, 1997.
- Gardner JP, Balasubramanyam M & Studzinski GP. Up-regulation of Ca2+ influx mediated by store-operated channels in HL60 cells induced to differentiate by 1_, 25-dihydroxy-vitamin D3. Journal of Cellular Physiology, 172:284-295, 1997.
- Gardner JP & Balasubramanyam M. Na+/Ca2+ exchange in circulating blood cells. Annals of New York Academy of Sciences, 779:502-514, 1996.
- Dang AM, Balasubramanyam M, Zenaida Garcia, Raveche ES & Gardner JP. Altered signal transduction in B-1 malignant clones. Immunology and Cell Biology, 73:511-520, 1995.
- Balasubramanyam M & Gardner JP. Protein kinase C modulates cytosolic free calcium by stimulating calcium pump activity in Jurkat T cells. Cell Calcium, 18:526-541, 1995.
- Balasubramanyam M, Rohowsky-Cochan C, Reeves JP and Gardner JP. Na+/Ca2+ exchange-mediated calcium entry in human peripheral blood lymphocytes. Journal of Clinical Investigation, 94:2002-2008, 1994.
- Balasubramanyam M, Kimura M, Aviv A & Gardner, JP. Kinetics of calcium transport across the lymphocyte plasma membrane. American Journal of Physiology, 265:C321-C327, 1993.
- Mohana Rao, A.M.K. and Balasubramanyam, M. (1992). Chapter 11. The Mice, Mus spp. In: Rodents in Indian Agriculture, Vol.1 (Eds. Ishwar Prakash and P.K. Ghosh) Scientific Publishers, Jodhpur, India pp 147-164. (book chapter).
- Balasubramanyam, M., Maddaiah, G.P. and Ramamurthi, R. (1991). Minimal baiting and control of rats in storages using new generation anticoagulant rodenticides. In Proc: Fifth International Working Conference on Stored-product Protection, Volume III (Eds. Fleurat-Lessard and P. Ducom) Bordeaux, France, September 9-14, 1990. Published by Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (INRA, Paris, France) pp 1481-1488.
- Balasubramanyam, M. and Purushotham, K.R. (1988). Anticoagulant rodenticides - current development and trends. Ind. Review of Life Sci. 8:205-232. (Review)
- Balasubramanyam, M. and Purushotham, K.R. (1988). The susceptibility of the Indian field mouse, Mus booduga Gray to anticoagulant rodenticidal baits. Pesticide Sci. 23:209-213.
- Balasubramanyam, M., Shobarani, D., Maddaiah,G.P. and Purushotham, K.R. (1988). Responses to warfarin by the Indian gerbil. Tatera indica from Tirupati, India. Ind. J. of Exp. Biol. 26:694-696.
- Maddaiah, G.P., Balasubramanyam, M. and Purushotham, K.R. (1988). Bromadiolone - a potent anticoagulant rodenticide against the house rat, Rattus rattus. Pesticides 22:28-33.
- Balasubramanyam, M., Maddaiah, G.P. and Purushotham, K.R. (1988). Laboratory evaluation of anticoagulant wax blocks to control Indian field mouse, Mus booduga. Ind. J. of Agric. Sci. 58:330-332.
- Balasubramanyam, M. and Purushotham, K.R. (1987). Comparative effect of three rodenticides warfarin, bromadiolone and brodifacoum on the Indian field mouse, Mus booduga Gray. International Biodeterioration 23:307-314.
- Maddaiah, G.P., Balasubramanyam, M. and Purushotham, K.R. (1987). Field evaluation of bromadiolone in two rat infested areas. Tropical Pest Mgmt. 33:230-233.
- Balasubramanyam, M., Christopher, M.J. and Purushotham, K.R. (1985). Field evaluation of three anticoagulant rodenticides against rodent pests in paddy fields. Tropical Pest Mgmt. 31:299-301.
- Balasubramanyam, M., Christopher, M.J. and Purushotham, K.R. (1985). Laboratory evaluation of anticoagulant treated baits against Indian field mouse, Mus booduga. Proc. Indian Acad. Sci. 94:93-97.
- Christopher, M.J., Balasubramanyam, M. and Purushotham, K.R. (1984). Evaluation of bromadiolone in paddy fields. Rodent Newsletter Jan-Dec, p 7.
- Christopher, M.J., Balasubramanyam, M. and Purushotham, K.R. (1984). Fight rats in your farms. Poultry punch 1:47-50.
- Christopher, M.J., Balasubramanyam, M. and Purushotham, K.R. (1984). Rodent problem in poultry farms of Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh. Poultry guide xxi:21-26.
- Christopher, M.J., Balasubramanyam, M. and Purushotham, K.R. (1984). Toxicity of three anticoagulant rodenticides to male hybrid leghorns. Zeit. fur Angew. Zool. 71:275-282.
- Balasubramanyam, M., Christopher, M.J. and Purushotham, K.R. (1984). Laboratory evaluation of three anticoagulant rodenticides for use against the Indian field mouse, Mus booduga Gray. Journal of Hygiene 93:575-578.
Talks delivered (2005-2009) by Dr. M. Balasubramanyam
Asst. Director & Senior Scientist, MDRF
“Molecular benefits of exercise towards diabetes prevention and management” – Faculty lecture at Dr.Mohans’ International Diabetes Update-2107, Hotel ITC Grant Chola, Chenna, 28-30 July 2017
“Health is under Threat & Healthy Aging is a Dream” – Invited lecture – Orientation Programme for students - Ethiraj College for Women, Chennai, 21st June 2017
“Diabetes Research: The emerging and evolving cross-talk of multidisciplinary and transdisciplinary fields” – Invited talk - Summer Training Programme in Biology (STPIB-2017) at Centre for Advanced studies in Botany, University of Madras organized under the support of Science City, Government of Tamil Nadu and The Academy of Sciences, Chennai, 1st June 2017.
"Redox Signaling alterations and Sub-Clinical Oxidative Stress in Diabetes and its Complications" – at the National Symposium on: Oxidative Stress in Health and Disease, University of Kalyani, West Bengal, India, 30th March 2017.
“New Biology Insights of Gut Microbiome and Type 2 Diabetes Interface” – International Conference on: ‘Microbiome in Health, Disease & Environment’, Central Inter-Disciplinary Research Facility (CIDRF), Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth University, Puducherry, India, 4th March 2017.
"Biomedical Research, Science Communication & Public Engagement" – National Science Day Distinguished Lecture – at the Dept. of Biotechnology, Dr.M.G.R. Educational & Research Institute, Chennai, 28th February 2017.
“Miscommunication and Short-circuit Signaling between gut microbiome and humans with special reference to type 2 diabetes” – Invited talk at the 5th International Conference on Molecular Signaling (ICMS), AUKBC-Anna University, Chennai, January 12th 2017.
"Yoga and Diabetes - Molecular Insights of 'Meditation to Medication' effects" - International Conference on ‘Yoga & Diabetes’ - Central Council for Research in Yoga & Naturopathy (CCRYN), Ministry of AYUSH, Govt. of India at Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra, Chanakya Puri, New Delhi, on 6th January 2017
“Dysharmonious Cell Signaling and Regulation in Type 2 diabetes: New Biology Insights of Clinical Relevance” – Invited talk at the 104th Indian Science Congress, S.V.University, Tirupati, 5th January 2017.
“MicroRNAs in Diabetes: Robust Biomarkers of Prevention and Precision Medicine” - The 44th Annual Scientific meeting of the Research Society of Study of Diabetes in India (RSSDI-2016), Hyderabad, 20th November 2016.
“Borderless Biology at the interface of Health and Disease” – Distinguished Lecture at the 2nd Andhra Pradesh Science Congress (APSC) at Vijayawada, 8th November 2016
"Integrative Biology and Omics Advancements in Diabetes" – Lecture at the Department of Integrative Biology, School of Biosciences and Technology, VIT University, Vellore, 1st November 2016.
“Biotechnological Advancements in Diabetes and Metabolic Disorders: New Avenues for Revenues” - National Conference on Recent Trends in Biotechnology (BioTrends-2016) & Annual Meeting of the Society for Biotechnologists (lndia), National Institute of Ocean Technology (NIOT), Chennai, 20th October 2016
“Search for Translational biomarkers at the interface of Gut Microbiome and Type 2 Diabetes– preliminary results on platforms/methods” – The Indo-Danish MicrobDiab Conference, Hotel Richmond, Copenhagen, Denmark, October 10th & 11th 2016.
"Type 2 Diabetes - the Brain Connection at the interface of depression, cognitive decline and accelerated ageing" – Symposium on 'Neural functions in the ageing brain' (NFAB), organized by the Inter University Centre for Biomedical Research & Super Speciality Hospital with venue at RGCB (Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology), Trivandrum, 28th September 2016
"Molecular Stress Wars (Signaling) in Diabetes: New Biology Insights" – Invited talk at the International Workshop on ‘Molecular Physiology, Therapeutics and Experimental Medicine’, Alagappa University Science Campus, Karaikudi, Tamilnadu, 6th September 2016
“Hope, Hype and Hybrids of Omics Advances in Type 2 diabetes” – Guest Lecture at Dr.MGR Janaki College of Arts and Science for Women, Chennai, 2nd September 2016.
“Omics Solutions & IT Future of Medicine” – Inaugural Address and talk at the National workshop on Cancer Genomics Analysis using FOSS Application-NWCFP'16, 17th March 2016, Karpaga Vinayagar College of Engineering and Technology, Kanchipuram, Chennai.
“Cellular Stress Wars in Diabetes:The Gut Microbiome Connection”- Invited Lecture at the 3rd Biennial PAi Conference & International Symposium on Stress, Microbiome & Probiotics (March 12-13, 2016) National Institute of Science Education & Research (NISER), Bhubaneswar, Odisha
“Science and Public Engagement: A Make in India Priority” – Special Lecture at the Department of Biochemistry, Chemical Sciences Auditorium, University of Madras, Chennai, 4th March 2016.
“Phytochemicals for Diabetes: Time tested or Time to Test?” - National Conference on ‘Phytochemicals as Biotherapeutics- Unraveling the Mystery of Natural Products’, 18th February 2016 at Sri Ramachandra University, Porur, Chennai.
"Epigenetics of Diabetes: You reap, what you sow"- National Level Workshop on "Epigenetics – For Beginners", Jeppiaar Engineering College, Chennai, 16th February 2016.
“New Biology insights of diabetes: The road traveled and the way forward for indigenous development” –invited talk at the 103rd Indian Science Congress -2016, Mysuru, 6th January 2016
“Yoga to Fight against Stress Wars in Diabetes: The Need for Yoganomics and Integrated Medicine Studies” invited talk at the 21st INCOFYRA, S-VYASA (Swami Vivekananda Yoga Anusandhana Samsthana) University, Bangaluru, 5th January 2016
“Gut Microbiome and Diabetes: Of microbes, mice, men and medicine! “– School of Medicine, DEAKIN University, Australia, 15th December, 2015
"Omics advancements in Type 2 diabetes: How close or distant from Clinics?" – at the Westmead Institute for Medical Research, Sydney, Australia, 10th December 2015
“New Biolology Insights and Omics Advancements in Type 2 Diabetes” – School of Medicine, DEAKIN University, Australia, 30th November 2015
"New biology insights of molecular pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes and omics advancements" – Distinguished lecture at the Central Drug Research Institute (CDRI, Lucknow) on 30th October 2015
“Angiogenesis in Diabetes: Angel’s role versus Devil’s play!” – 3rd International Conference in Angiogenesis:Technology and Therapeutics (ICATT-2015), SASTRA University, Thanjavur, India – 25th September 2015.
“Inflammaging and MetaInflammation in Type 2 Diabetes” – Inflammation Summit Meet, ChanRe Rheumatology and Immunology Center and Research, Bangaluru, 22nd August 2015
“Biomarkers of Diabetes Prevention and Prognosis: A paradigm shift from Single to Panel approach” - 2nd Dr.Mohans’ International Diabetes Uptade, Chennai, 31st July to 2nd August, 2015.
“Omics Advancements in Diabetes: Where do we stand now” – 6th World Congress of DiabetesIndia, ITC Grand Chola, Chennai (India) April 9-12, 2015
“Should we need Open-Access Scientists?” – Valedictory Address at the National Workshop on Gene Sequencing Analysis using Cloud Aplication (NWACP’15) at the Karpaga Vinayagar College of Engineering & Technology, Kanchipuram, Tamilnadu, 27th March 2015
“Science Brings Happiness” National Science Day celebration in commemoration of the Golden jubilee year of the Bharathi Women’s College, Chennai, 25th February, 2015
“Cell fate decisions under Endoplasmic Reticulum (ER) stress and ‘Stress Wars’ with special reference to Type 2 Diabetes”. National Conference on “Cell Death and Disease”, University of Madras, Chennai 17th March, 2015
“Phytotherapy and Type 2 Diabetes: Time tested or Time to Test?” - International Conference on Medicinal Plants and Herbal Drugs for Human Welfare (ICMP – 2015, Le Meridian, Chennai, 30th January, 2015
“Ever-expanding Molecular Etiology of Type 2 Diabetes and Omics Advancements” – International Conference on recent advances in research and treatment of human diseases & 4th Annual Meeting of Indian Academy of Biomedical Sciences (IABS), CSIR-IICT Auditorium, Hyderabad (India), January 9-11, 2015
“Technological Advancements in Diabetes Research – A Nightmare or a Dream Come True?” – Invited Lecture at the Medical Sciences Session of the 102nd Indian Science Congress, University of Mumbai, Mumbai, 5th January 2015
“Proteomics and Metabolomics in Diabetes:Where do we stand now?” Brainstorming meeting and Workshop on Proteomics:Present and Future, Centre for Cellular & Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad, 29th November 2014
“Newbiology Insights of Epigenetics of Diabetes and Obesity” – Joint IUBMB-RCB Advanced School – Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome: Networks, Cross-talks and Interventions, Heritage Village Resort, Manesar, Gurgaon, 26th November 2014
"Molecular Pathogenesis of Type 2 Diabetes: The Brain Connection" – Lecture at the National Brain Research Centre (NBRC), Gurgaon, 25th November 2014
“Myriad actions and Macro functions of MicroRNAs in Diabetes” – RSSDI-2014, Bangaluru, 23rd November 2014
“Gut microbiome and diabetes - Lessons from animals to humans” – Conference on ‘Diabetes and obesity – in a global life course perspective’ – Indo-Danish Delegation on Research Collaboration, InnovationsFonden, Copenhagen, Denmark, 4th September 2014
“Borderless Biology and the need for point-of-care (POC) Medical technologies” –NCBIAT-2014, Department of Biomedical Engineering, PSG College of Technology
Coimbatore, 28th June 2014
“Molecular Biology and Omics advancements in Diabetes” – Guest Lecture at the National Seminar on ‘Present status and future prospects of modern biotechnology and their applications’ – Department of Biotechnology, Dravidian University, Kuppam, Andrha Pradesh, 27th March 2014.
Endocrine Disruptors – Adding fuel in to the etiology and epidemic of diabetes? – Seminar on ‘Endocrine Disruptors’ – Department of Endocrinology, Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Chennai, 15th March 2014
“Studying Disease-Biology insights of diabetes and its complications” – Guest Lecture at the Vignan’s University, Andhra Pradesh, 4th March 2014
“Molecular pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes with special reference to MicroRNAomics” – DBT-Sponsored Workshop on ‘RNAi Technology and its applications’, Maharani’s Science College for Women, Bangalore, 12th February 2014
“Diabetes & Cancer – shared disease-biology and striking need for a diabetoncology approach” – 5th International Conference on Translational Cancer Research: Multi-Targeted Approach to Treatment of Cancer, Vigyan Bhavan, New Delhi, 7th February 2014.
“New Biology insights in to the molecular pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes” – Invited talk at the New Biology Session, 101st Indian Science Congress, University of Jammu, Jammu, 4th February 2014
“Discovery Biology – Conduct, Consolidate and Communicate” – Talk at the Science Communicators’ Meet, 101st Indian Science Congress, University of Jammu, Jammu, 5th February 2014
“Yoga and Diabetes: A Disease-Biology Appraisal and Future Research Directions” - 20th International Conference on Frontiers in Yoga Research and its Applications (20th INCOFYRA).Year Theme: "Yoga: A Public Health Strategy for Diabetes – Prevention and Education" - Vivekananda Yoga Research Foundation (VYASA), Bangalore, 5th January 2014.
"Phytochemicals for diabetes: The Challenge of transforming Ancient Anecdotes to Modern Medicine" - 34th Annual Meeting of Indian Association of Bio-Medical Scientists (IABMS), University of Madras, Chennai, 28th December 2013.
“Diabetes and Borderless Biology” - International Interactive workshop on BORDERLESS BIOLOGY – Biotechnology Department, Bioinformatics Facility, University of Madras, Chennai, 16th December 2013.
“Omics advancements in Diabetes: New Insights” – 82nd Annual Meeting of the Society for Biological Chemists (SBCi) & International Symposium on Genomes: Mechanism and Function, School of Life Sciences, University of Hyderabad, 3-5 December 2013.
“Drugs for Diabetes: the Changing and Challenging Scenario” – Challenges & Opportunities in S&T in Developing Countries, JNCASR, Bangalore, November 21-23, 2013
“Stress wars in diabetes with special reference to endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress” – 41st Annual Scientific Meeting for Research Society for the Study of Diabetes in India (RSSDI), Greater Noida, Delhi, November 8-10, 2013.
“ABCDs in Diabetes Research (Avenues, Bottlenecks, Challenges & Developments)” – Guest Lecture at the National Conference on “Diabetes Mellitus in Indian Population: Current Senario and Future Perspectives” – Department of Biotechnoloyg, Karpaga Vinayaga College of Engineering and Technology, Chennai.
“Omics Applications in Diabetes: Hope, Hype and Reality” – Annual Meeting of the Diabetes Association of India (Southern Chapter) Conference (DAISICON-2013), Green Park, Chennai, 16th June 2013.
“Clinical Biochemistry and Disease-Biology Focus with special reference to Diabetes and its Complications” – Symposium on "Recent Scenario in Clinical Biochemistry” – Department of Biochemistry, Vels University, 20th April 2013
“Regenerative Medicine: Science of Optimism with Opportunities Unlimited” – Inaugural Fellowship Course on Regenerative Medicine, Dept of Regenerative Medicine and Translational Science, Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine, Kolkatta, 16th April 2013
“Is it time to revisit phytochemicals to fight against diabetes?” – International Conference on Bioactive Phytochemicals and Therapeutics-2013, Annamalai University, Tamilnadu, 7th April 2013
"Forays into Herbal Resources for Diabetes Prevention and Control: The compelling need for Scientific Studies" -Workshop on ‘New drug discovery in the context of new Science, Technology & Innovation (STI) Policy 2013, Administrative Staff Colege of India & Zaheer Science Foundation, Hyderabad, 5-6th April 2013
“Two-way translational Clinical Research:Bench to Bedside & Bedside to Bench and Back” – Workshop on ‘Clinical Research Methods’, Dept. of Food Science and Nutrition, University of Mysore, 15th March 2013
“Molecular mechanisms of accelerated ageing in Type 2 diabetes” – Conference on Healthy Aging in Asia – Strategies to Meet Health & Lifestyle Challenges, Grant Copthorne Waterfront, Singapore, March 4-5, 2013.
“The Compelling need to promote Ageing Research in Asia” – Round Table Discussion at the Conference on Healthy Aging in Asia – Strategies to Meet Health & Lifestyle Challenges, Grant Copthorne Waterfront, Singapore, March 6, 2013.
“Basic, Clinical and Translational Aspects of Diabetes Research: The MDRF Model” - Indo-German Workshop on Clinical Research in Diabetes, Hotel Taj Club House, Chennai, February 4th 2013.
“Molecular Therapeutics in type 2 diabetes – What is missing from the promises?” – International Conference on Innovations in Molecular Therapeutics (Avidadham’13), Center for Biotechnology, Anna University, Chennai, 28-31st January 2013.
“Stem Cells and Diabetes: Lights and Shadows” – International Stem Cell Summit (ISCS-2013), Lifeline Group of Hospitals, Chennai, 4th January 2013.
“Fighting drugs and phytochemical hopes for diabetes mellitus” – International Conference on Bio Engineering (ICBE-203), Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Chennai, 3rd January 2013.
“Organ dysfunction (pancreas) from Organellar (ER) stress – new pathophysiological paradigm” INDO-US BILATERAL WORKSHOP ON “Pancreatic Islets: From Isolation to Transplantation”. Asian Institute of Gastroenterology, Hyderabad 14-15th September 2012
“Type 2 Diabetes: The Gut connection (and the Bugs Conspiracy!)” – 1st Annual Probiotic Association of India (PAi) Conference & International Symposium on Probiotics for Human Health- New innovations & Emerging Trends, 27th-28th August, 2012, New Delhi
“The met and unmet molecular actions of Metformin - New Insights”: Annual Summit-2012 of the Diabetes Association of India – (Southern Chapter), Chennai, 13th May 2012
“Discovery Channels and the working issues with the Sugar and Fat-friendly Cells”: National Workshop on Drug Discovery & Development, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai, 11th to 13rd May 2012.
Macro Management of microRNAs in Diabetes: ‘International Conference on Molecular Medicine (MolMed-2012) – Genes, Genomics and Chronic Diseases’. Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), India, 19-22 February, 2012
“The challenge of using animal models to better understand the molecular pathogenesis of diabetes and its complications”: ‘National Conference on Frontiers in Biotechnology’, Department of Biotechnology, SRM University, Chennai, 4-5th February, 2012.
"Diet-induced diabetes in rats - New Pharmacology and Cell Biology Insights": Special Lecture at the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Vels University, Chennai, 3rd February, 2012
“Revisiting molecular pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes with special reference to miRNA advancements” TM’s 1st world cardiovascular, diabetes, and obesity online conference (USA), 22-24 September 2011
“Maillard Chemistry and Diabetes Mystery” – Panel discussion at the Symposium on “Chemistry in Societal and Environmental Needs”, Chennai, India 29-31st August 2011.
“Functional read-out assays for studying the molecular pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes” - UGC-NRCBS Summer School on "Human Cellular Functional Assays", School of Biological Sciences, Madurai Kamaraj University, Madurai, July 2nd 2011.
“Molecular pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes-Spectrum of Complexities & Complications” - Dr.Menon Endowment Lecture, Department of Biochemistry, Annamalai University, Annamalai Nagar, Tamilnadu, 27th May 2011.
“Type 2 diabetes and the need for lifestyle modifications” - UGC Orientation program for Biology Teachers, University of Madras, Chennai, 17th May 2011.
“Hopes and hypes on Molecular Markers in relation to Type 2 diabetes”. National Seminar on “Prospects in Clinical Research” Vels University, Chennai, 25th March 2011
“Overview of Drug Discovery & Development with special reference to diabetes” – AU- KBC Research Centre, MIT Campus of Anna University, Chennai, 25th March 2011
“Diabesity! – Challenges for Academics and Industry” - Industry Lecture for B.Tech students, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT-M), Chennai, 23rd March 2011.
“Molecular pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes: Existing and Emerging Concepts” – Guest Lecture at the Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore, 21st February 2011.
“MicroRNA: Macro functions in Type 2 Diabetes” – Institute of Advanced Studied (IAS) Visiting Fellow Lecture at WISDEM/IAS/CSRI Annual Symposium, Warwick Medical School, UK, 11th March l2011.
“Accelerated Senescence and Diabesity-Cell Biology Insights” - An Indo-US Bilateral Symposium on Aging and Age-related Diseases, National Institute of Immunology (NII), New Delhi, 3-4 March 2011.
“Oxidative stress in Diabetes: Emerging Concepts and Clinical Relevance” International Conference on Recent Trends in Therapeutic Advancement of Free Radical Science & 10th Annual Meeting of the Society for Free Radical Research-India”, Chennai, January 9-11, 2011.
“New insights into the molecular pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes with special reference to siRNA & miRNA advancements” New Biology of 98th Session of Indian Science Congress, SRM University, Chennai, 3-7 January 2011
‘Biological Sciences: Widening Opportunities’ – INSPIRE Science Camp for the Students, Chennai – 27th Dec to 31st Dec 2010.
“Type 2 diabetes:Molecular pathogenesis and prevention aspects” -DAE-BRNS symposium on Current Trends in Biology and Medicine, BARC, Mumbai, Dec 22nd 2010.“Is there a beneficial role of probiotics against diabetes and related metabolic disorders? - Recent insights” – 2nd Meeting of National Core Group on Probiotics – NAS Complex, New Delhi, 15th November 2010
“Molecular pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes – Emerging Concepts and Ever Challenging Aspects” Advinus Therapeutics Private Limited, Pune, 24th September 2010.
“DR & DCCT – A Lession for Vision and basic science insights” SN-ARVO 2010 – Diabetic retinopathy – From Bench to Population, 9-11 September 2010, Taj, Chennai
“Macro function of microRNAs in Diabetes” International Conference on New Frontiers in Diabetes Research, Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning, Puttaparthi, 13-14th August, 2010.
“Oxidative stress in diabetes – Multiple cell stressors and challenges” International Conference on Recent Advances in Free radical Research, Natural Products, Antioxidants and Radioprotectors in Health and 9th Annual Conference of Society for Free Radical Research-India (SFRR-India)” Hyderabad, January 11-13, 2010.
“Stress Wars” in Diabetes – Molecular Insights – Guest Lecture at the Division of Metabolic Diseases, Korea National Institute of Health (KNIH), 21st December 2009, South Korea
“Accelerated Senescence in Diabesity? New Molecular Insights”. International Conference on Nutrition and Physical Activity in Aging, Obesity and Cancer, 12-15th December 2009, Jeju Island, South Korea.
“Role of endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress in the molecular pathogenesis of insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes”. International Symposium on “Type 2 diabetes: From molecular insights to therapeutic intervention” Hyderabad, India; September 18-20, 2009.
“Mitochondrial dysfunction and ER stress in diabetes”. 37th Annual Meeting of RSSDI, Ahmedabad, 5-8th November 2009.
“Basic methods in Eukaryotic Cell Culture” Guest Lecture given at the AICTE-STTP Programme on Animal Tissue Culture in Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Chennai 21st July 2009
“Palmitate causes insulin resistance by inducing epigenetic alterations in hepatocytes and adipocytes” - 13th ADNAT Convention, International Symposium on Epigenetic Modifications of the Genome: Mechanisms and Implications, at the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad during February 23-24, 2009.
“Molecular pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes: Technological struggle and the Gordian Knot” – MDRF-ICMR Workshop on Techniques in Genomics in relation to diabetes and related disorders, MDRF, Chennai, 9th January 2009
“Molecular intricacies of oxytosis and apoptosis in Type 2 diabetes” – 77th Annual Meeting of the Society of Biological Chemists, Indian Institute of Technology, Chennai, 18-20 December 2008.
“Prevention is better than cure – Molecular perspective on how this ancient adage is appropriate for diabetes” – State level Symposium on Pre-emptive prevention of human diseases, Loyola College, Chennai, 18th December 2008.
“Phytochemicals for diabetes – Time tested or Time to Test?”- International Conference Natural Products in Health" and "21st Annual Conference of the Indian Society for Atherosclerosis Research", Annamalai University, Chidambaram, 8th December 2008.
“Functional foods and their molecular mechanisms in relation to diabetes”. 36th Annual meeting of the Research Society for the Study of Diabetes in India (RSSDI), Hyderabad, 23rd November 2008.
“Stem cells for diabetes – Where do we stand now?” First International Stem Cell Summit India -2008, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Chennai, 14th November 2008.
“Oxidative damage and altered HO-1 signaling in Type 2 diabetes” at the Soongsan Biomedical Symposium, Wonkwang University, Korea, 13th October 2008.
“Traditional medicine & Diabetes: New molecular insights” at the Workshop on “Opportunities for collaboration through e-IMBL, 11th annual meeting of the A-IMBN Conference, Seoul Korea, 8-9th October 2008.
“New insights of translational research opportunities in diabetes”. 11th annual meeting of the A-IMBN Conference, Seoul, Korea, 8-9th October 2008.
“Stress Wars” in Diabetes: Patholgoical insights and new therapeutic concepts”. International Congress on Cell Biology, Seoul, Korea, 7-10th October 2008.
“Harnessing the benefits of Biotechnology for better diabetes care”. Talk delivered at the Kumararani Meena Muthiah College of Arts and Science, Chennai on 12th September 2008.
“Vision care in diabetes: Visualizing beyond glucose control”. KNBIRVO Conference, Chennai, 5th September 2008.
“Phytomedicine & Diabetes: New molecular insights” 1st International Euro-India Conference on Holistic Medicine (ICHM-2008), Institute of Holistic Medical Sciences, Kottayam, 21-23 August, 2008.
“Diabetic retinopathy: seeing beyond glucose control” 56th TNOA Conference:Research and Ophthalmology/Organizing Research at the Regional Ophthalmic Institute and Govt Ophthalmic Hospital, Chennai, 9th August, 2008.
Participated at the International discussion meeting on “Cell replacement therapy for diabetes” (DBT/NCCS), National Centre for Cell Science, Pune, 15-16 July 2008.
“Diabetes – in search of an integrated management and interdisciplinary research” at the International Biomedical Modeling School and Workshop, National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS), Bangalore, Feb 27- March 2, 2008.
“Recent trends in Biotechnology and Healthcare with special reference to diabetes”. Talk by Video Conference, Biotechcellence-2008. Center for Biotechnology, Chennai, 25th February 2008
“Stress wars in diabetes” – role of oxidative stress and endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress – at the 95th Indian Science Congress, Visakhapatnam, 3-7th January 2008.
“Stem Cell Therapy: applications, obstacles and opportunities” – Plenary talk delivered at the State Level Seminar on Emerging Operandum in Stem Cell Biology & Nanotechnology – Chennai, 29th December 2007.
“Molecular divergence of O-linked N-acetylglucosaminyl transferase (OGT) silencing, ER stress and Insulin resistance in L6 skeletal muscle cells” – Indo-French Conference on: RNAi in Genome Control, Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad, December 12 -14, 2007.
“Stem cells, diabetes and regenerative medicine” – Frontier Conclave 2007 – International Conference on Stem Cell, Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine. Frontier Lifeline, Chennai, November 30th – December 2nd 2007.
“Metabolic Memory and Oxidative Stress – New Insights From Interventional and Epidemiological Studies” talk at the 35th Annual Conference of RSSDI, Kolkatta, 23-25th November 2007
“Molecular understanding of Type 2 diabetes – Triumphs and Trials” talk at the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bangalore, 12th November 2007.
“Exploring novel mechanisms of insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes using miRNA and RNAi technologies”- presentation at the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Govt. of India, 26th September 2007.
“Multiple diabetes drug targets – A blessing in disguise for Pharma” invited talk given at the National Institute of Pharmaceutical Education & Research (NIPER), Chandigarh, 11th August 2007.
“Research needs – Chronic Disease Biology & Diabetes”. Department of Biotechnology (DBT) meeting on Chronic Disease Biology, Trivandrum 7-9th August 2007
“Insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes: New insights in to the molecular mechanisms” Guest Lecture at the Department of Biotechnology, School of Life Sciences, Central University, Hyderabad on 30th July 2007.
“Oxidative stress, Metabolic memory and Diabetic retinopathy” at the 16th Annual Meeting of Indian Eye Research Group (IERG), L.V.Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad during 28 –29th July 2007
“Molecular pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes-Cell and Organellar Insights” at the School of Life Sciences, MDIS, Singapore on 3rd July 2007
Methods in Calcium homeostasis and Redox signaling at the School of Life Sciences, MDIS, Singapore on 29th June 2007
“Pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes – Technology struggles and the Gordian Knot” at the Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, Singapore on 3rd July 2007.
“Molecular pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes – Tissues, Issues and Microarray applications” at the “Workshop on advanced microarray techniques”, Genotypic Technology, Bangalore, 3 - 4th May 2007.
“Type 2 diabetes – Emerging drug targets and exciting challenges” Talk given at BIOCON, Bangalore on 28th March 2007.
“Stem cells, diabetes and bioengineering enterprise”, Guest lecture on Tissue Engineering at the Department of Biotechnology, University of Madras, Chennai, 6th March, 2007.
“Molecular pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes-Cell and Organellar Insights” at the 30th All India Cell Biology Conference (AICBC), Theme: Molecules to Compartments; Corss-talks and Networks. Delhi University, Delhi, 2-4 February, 2007.
Diabetes – What medicinal plants can offer? at the National Conference on “Recent Trends in Medicinal Plants Research”, University of Madras, Chennai, 24-25 January, 2007.
“Phytochemicals and fight against diabetes mellitus” at the XXIII Annual conference of the Indian Association of Veterinary Pathologists, TamilNadu, Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai, 27th December 2006.
“Telomere shortening at the cross-road of oxidative stress and atherosclerosis” at the 19th Annual Conference of the Indian Society for Atherosclerosis Research (ISARCON-2006), University of Madras, Chennai, December 16-17th , 2006
“Herbal medicine and diabetes mellitus: Where do we stand now?” at the Natioanal symposium on Current trends in the development of herbal drugs & 27th Annual Conference of Indian Association of Biomedical Scientists, Trivandrum 25-27th November, 2006.
“Screening techniques on herbals for insulin secretagogue and insulin sensitizing actions” at the IABMS (Indian Association of Biomedical Scientists) Workshop on “Basic tools and techniques in herbal drug research”, Trivandrum 25-27th November, 2006
“Changing trends and translational approaches in studying the molecular pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes” at the 9th A-IMBN (Asia-Pacific International Molecular Biology Network) Conference & 16th MSMBB Scientific Meeting, Theme: From Genomics and Proteomics to Translational Initiatives, held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia during 3rd to 5th September 2006.
“Does oxidation/inflammation impose accelerated cellular senescence in adipocytes and modify their secretory profile and function?” – Presentation at the Department of Biotechnlogy (DBT), Govt. of India, 28th August 2006.
“War against diabetes mellitus: Phytochemicals revisited?” at the AVT Institute of Advanced Research (AVTAR), Coimbatore on 7th July 2006
“Proteomics and post-translational modifications-Type 2 diabetes context” at the Indo-Swedish Symposium on Genomics and Proteomics of Diabetes held in Chennai during April 1-2, 2006
“Changing trends in studying the molecular pathogenesis of diabetes” at the National Seminar on Molecular basis of diseases – current perspectives and new frontiers, held at the University of Madras, Chennai during 13-14 March 2006
“Time for a translational approach in diabetes research” at the Seminar on ‘Emerging trends in biomedical sciences and their translational applications’ at the Loyola College, Chennai, 1st March 2006.
“New insights into the pathogenesis of diabetes and the role of phytochemicals” at the Workshop cum Symposium on “Recent trends in Biochemistry & Biotechnology” at the Annamalai University, Chidambaram, on 26th February, 2006.
“Differential regulation of Ca2+ & Endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress markers during induction of insulin resistance by glucosamine in L6 muscle cells”, at the10th ADNAT convention on: “RNAi & microRNA in development and health”, Center for Cellular & Molecular Biology (CCMB), Hyderabad, during 23-24th February, 2006.
“Insulin signaling, diabetes pathogenesis and proteomics aspects” at the National Symposium & Workshop on Genomics, proteomics and computational biology – Today and Tomorrow, in Chennai during 15-17 February, 2006.
“Antioxidatns & Metabolic/Vascular diseases – Where do we stand now” at the Joint Annual Meeting of the International Society of Heart Research & International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences, held at the Madras Medical Mission, Chennai during 12-14th January, 2006
“Oxidative stress and diabetes – New insights for therapeutic intervention” at the 38th Annual Conference of the Indian Pharmacological Society (IPS), Chennai, 29th December 2005.
“Diabetes & New Horizons in Drug Development” at the National Conference on “Path to Health – Biotechnology Revolution in India” held at the Anna University, Chennai, 25th November 2005.
“Clinical Proteomics and diabetes: Expectations and Emerging Opportunities” at the Expert Committee Meeting of the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) held in Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, 7th November 2005.
“Herbal medicine, diabetes and oxidative stress as a therapeutic target” at the “International Conference on Drug Development from Medicinal Plants- Issues and Problems” held at CLRI, Chennai on 21st October 2005.
Dr.M.Balasubramanyam is Dean of Research Studies & Senior Scientist at the Madras Diabetes Research Foundation (MDRF). He is a member of the Asia-Pacific International Molecular Biology Network (A-IMBN) and had an extensive post-doctoral training (1991-95) at the Hypertension Research Centre, New Jersey Medical School, USA, in the areas of signal transduction in health and metabolic diseases with special reference to molecular pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes and vascular biology. Having worked as a faculty at the Center for Biotechnology, Anna University, Chennai for 3 years (1996-99) he has joined MDRF in 1999. He is instrumental in setting up the basic infrastructural facilities at MDRF and coordinates various research programmes and educational activities from time-to-time.
Mission & Vision:
Dr.Balu’s laboratory is involved in studying cell and molecular signatures with special reference to insulin secretion, insulin action and vascular function. Our research integrates physiological and pharmacological approaches with biochemical and molecular biological techniques (transcriptomics, miRNA, RNAi, epigenetics, metagenomic, metabolomics) to study mechanisms underlying development and progression of diabetes, its complications and cardiovascular diseases. This challenging multi-disciplinary research specialization dwells around the following themes:
- Insights into biochemistry and molecular biology of diabetes and its vascular complications by studying nutrient-sensing pathways, redox signaling, advanced glycation end products, calcium signaling and epigenetic mechanisms.
- Prognostic/diagnostic or risk predictive role of miRNAs in diabetes and its complications.
- Investigating the role of organellar dysfunction (Endoplasmic reticulum (ER) stress and mitochondrial mess) in insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes utilizing the target tissue specific (skeletal muscle, adipose, β-cell) microarray, proteomics, siRNA and epigenetics studies.
- Bio-prospecting biomarker(s) potential in body fluids and tissue biopsies (human skeletal muscle and adipocytes) adapting to proteomic tools and identification of prediabetes/diabetes/diabetic complications-specific molecular fingerprints and protein post-translational modifications.
- Studying telomere biology and test whether shortening of telomeres are related to inter-individual differences in biological ageing that predisposes one to ‘lifestyle diseases’ and serve as a long-term biomarker.
- Demonstration of oxidative stress as a therapeutic target, testing natural products (herbals, marine resources) from the Indian biodiversity for their molecular actions beyond antioxidant property and validation of their utility as novel insulin secretatgogues/insulin sensitizers/vascular protectants.
- Role of gut microbiota in type 2 diabetes. Gut metabolites and intracellular signaling molecules as novel drug targets
- Role of Endocrine Disruptors with special reference to BPA in metabolic disorder.
The department now serves as an excellent 'interface' for biomedical/biotechnology/biopharmaceutical work with translational applications. The goal of the department is set to evolve as a ‘Centre for Cellular and Molecular Medicine’ (CCMM) with state-of-the-art facilities for preclinical research, biomarker(s)
identification, high-throughput cell-based assay systems, and to offer world-class contract research and consultancy work in the areas of specialization.
Research Highlights One of the thrust areas of research at the Madras Diabetes Research Foundation (MDRF) is to use the biochemical and proteomic technologies for identifying novel biomarkers and drug targets in the development and progression of diabetes and its associated complications. In the sub-set of subjects from CURES, we have shown elevated oxidative reactions (Sampathkumar et al 2005) and increased advanced glycation end products (AGEs) (Sampathkumar et al 2004) in patients with Type 2 diabetes and its vascular complications. Related to oxidative damage, our pilot observations indicated that there was increased lipid and protein oxidation as early in the stage of impaired glucose tolerance (prediabetes). In addition, we have seen telomere shortening in prediabetes subjects and patients with Type 2 diabetes (Adaikalakoteswari et al 2005; Adaikalakoteswari et al 2007), arising either from a cumulative burden of oxidative stress and/or other phosphorylation or epigenetic post-translational mechanisms. Another study (Adaikalakoteswari et al 2007) has demonstrated an association of oxidative DNA damage with PARP and NFkB activation, indicating a role for poly (ADP)-ribosylation in the pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes. Moreover, a role for oxidative stress in diabetes patients was also substantiated with differential expression of NADPH oxidase and hemoxygenase gene (Adaikalakoteswari et al 2006). While these effects have been studied by classic biochemical and molecular biology methods, the recent onset of proteomics methods are expected to allow studying oxidative stress responses on a much wider scale with more emphasis and focus on identification of biomarkers. In this direction, in collaboration with Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, we have recently identified increased positivity for glutathionylated hemoglobin (HbSSG) as a specific biomarker in diabetic patients with microangiopathy (Sampathkumar et al 2005b). As a prerequisite to study the proteomics & genomics of Type 2 diabetes, we have standardized in-house, the culturing of human skeletal muscle cells (HSMCs). Since insulin resistance of skeletal muscle primarily results from impaired glucose uptake and glycogen synthesis, these two metabolic read-out assays were first standardized in HSMCs (Balasubramanyam, 2006). The fact that defects in these metabolic read-outs are persisted in culture conditions of HSMCs obtained from patients with Type 2 diabetes, indicates that these cells are an excellent model system to study the proteomics & genomics of Type 2 diabetes. From the clinical proteomics view, our pilot studies also indicated protein spots with region-specific differences in plasma samples of subjects exhibiting varying degrees glucose tolerance. Other interesting studies which yielded preliminary data include: convergence of ER stress and insulin resistance in L6 skeletal muscle cells, palmitate-inudced impairment of multimerization of adiponectin in 3T3 adipocytes, characterization of a novel PTP inhibiting activity in prodigiosin, etc. As a part of the NMITLI diabetes project on herbal medicine, both curcumin and gallic acid have been extensively studied and scientifically documented for their specific molecular actions. Gallic acid has been shown to possess novel (hitherto unknown) actions at the interface of transcription factors, membrane transport, down regulation of oxidants and upregulation of antioxidant enzymes etc.
Specialized training: Dr.M.Balasubramanyam is a member of the Asia-Pacific International Molecular Biology Network (A-IMBN) and had an extensive post-doctoral training (1991-95) at the Hypertension Research Centre, New Jersey Medical School, USA, in the areas of signal transduction in health and metabolic diseases with special reference to molecular pathogenesis of Type 2 diabetes and vascular biology. Under the Scientific Investigator training programme at AIIMS, New delhi, he has learned both basic and advanced applications of Electron Microscopy techniques. He is well-versed with transport assays, fluorescence imaging techniques and flowcytometry applications. In the year 2003, he has visited the University of San Diego and learned techniques related to human skeletal muscle and adipose tissue culturing, differentiation protocols, and he is well-versed with the insulin signaling assays such as, glucose uptake, lipolysis, tyrosine phosphorylation, PTP inhibition, glycogen synthase activity, lipid accumulation, palmitate oxidation etc. He has participated in several training programmes of frontier technologies including microarray (mRNA, miRNA), siRNA, 2-Dgel electrophoresis and mass spectrometry and his team is actively collaborating with Indian Institute of Science (Prof.P.Balaram & Dr.Utpal Tatu) on body fluid and tissue proteomics profiling and JNCASR (Dr.Tapas Kundu) on epigenetic analysis. He is instrumental in setting up the basic science infrastructure in MDRF and with his efforts the tissue culture facility at MDRF is now fully tuned to conduct research on target-specific cells such as human skeletal muscle cells, human retinal endothelial cells, 3T3-L1 adipocytes, L6 muscle cells, THP-1 monocytes and b-cells. He is also instrumental in establishing the animal laboratory at MDRF. The training offered at this department is considered unique in that it is tailor-made for the students of biotechnology and pharmaceutical research.